1. When a student is alleged to have committed a conduct (non-academic) violation, he or she meets with a Conduct Officer for a Preliminary Review. This review is an opportunity for the officer to gather information about the allegation.

2. Once the Conduct Officer has examined the relevant information and completed the Preliminary Review, he or she determines whether there is sufficient information to charge the student with a violation of the University Code of Student Conduct.

3. If the student is not charged, the matter is concluded (unless information supporting a charge becomes available at a later time.)

4. If the student is charged, he or she will answer the charges with “responsible” or “not responsible.”

5. If the respondent answers “responsible,” the Conduct Officer will recommend a sanction.

  • If the student accepts responsibility and the sanction, he or she will sign an agreement confirming his or her acceptance and waiving the right to a Disciplinary Conference, University Hearing, or appeal.
  • If the student accepts responsibility but contests the sanction, he or she may appeal to the Campus Appeals Committee (see “The Conduct Appeal Process.”)

6. If the student answers “not responsible,” the case will be heard at a Disciplinary Conference or at a University Hearing.

7. A Disciplinary Conference is an informal meeting with a Conduct Officer, who will consider information presented by both parties and determine whether the student is responsible for the charges. If the student is found responsible, the officer will recommend a sanction.

8. A University Hearing is a more formal process, in which the University Hearing Board (a panel of students, faculty, and/or staff) considers information presented by the parties and determines whether the student is responsible for the charges. If the student is found responsible, the board will recommend a sanction.

9. The student has the right to appeal the outcome of the Disciplinary Conference or University Hearing (see “The Conduct Appeal Process.”)